top of page
Skip to Main Content
Creating a New Guide
- From the admin bar, choose Content, then Guides.
- On the Guides page, click the Create Guide button.
- Choose Layout or Reuse: If you're starting from scratch, leave this box alone. If you'd like to reuse another guide you can these dropdowns to find the guide you'd like to copy.
- Guide Name: required.
- Guide Description: recommended.
- Guide Type: required.
- Library Information Pages: for information about the libraries such as hours, directions, policies, etc.
- Course Guide: for guides created for instruction. (NOTE: Guide Names for course guides should always start with the course number followed by the course name, ex. POLS 345: Political Rhetoric.)
- Subject Guide: for guides focused on a topic, ex. Finding Scholarly Articles.
- Archival Finding Aids: do not use.
- Internal Guide: do not use.
- Template Guide: do not use.
- Group Assignment: required. Choose the appropriate library. (NOTE: when you give the guide a friendly URL the library named in the URL should match the library chosen here.)
Status, URL, Subjects
When you've completed your guide, you'll need to set a few settings.
- Each guide is given a friendly URL. The URL always starts with https://library.louisville.edu followed by the appropriate library and then a unique identifier for the guide.
- If there are multiple pages (tabs) in the guide, each page must be given a friendly URL as well.
- Friendly URLs make it possible for to us track usage statistics by library.
- If a guide should be listed on a subject guide (those subjects listed on the Subject Guides page), you need to edit the Subjects field on the guide.
- Lastly, when the page is ready you can set the status to make it available.
- Unpublished: This is the default status for a new guide. It is not viewable by the public and is not included in any subject lists or searches.
- Private: Viewable to the public only if they know the URL. Not included in subject lists or search results.
- Public: Visible to the public. Listed in subject lists and search results.