top of page
Skip to Main Content
- Reports from interested non-profit groups identifying & attempting to solve problems
- Academic studies in nonlegal fields
- They are a source of data and ideas
ProQuest Congressional - Congressional Research Service reports & other Government sources. Choose 'Advanced' search, and select CRS Reports.
Full-text journal articles from interdisciplinary fields such as history & sociology.
- Comparative analysis of a legal issue across multiple jurisdictions
- Provides deep research content
- Shows a variety of problem solutions tried by states
Select 'Subject Compilations of State Laws' or 'National Survey of State Laws'
Search for 50-State Surveys, and select filter to search for a topic, or select menu to browse.
State Survey Catalog Search
Also try searching for "50 state" or "fifty state" and your topic.
Select 'Statutes & Court Rules' under All Content. Choose '50 State Statutory Surveys' under Tools & Resources.
National Survey of State Laws by
Call Number: Reference: KF386 .N38 2019
Publication Date: 2019
State-by-state comparisons of current state laws.
Also available electronically through HeinOnline.
- Analysis of a statute from idea to legislation
- Track bills & congressional reports of attempts to fix a problem
ProQuest Congressional - Search for Legislative Histories
Select 'U.S. Federal Legislative History Library' and choose the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database.
Knowledge Center: Legislative History
This online module from Thomson Reuter's Knowledge Center provides an overview of researching the legislative history of a statute. Students can log in using their Westlaw account.