top of page
Skip to Main Content
About this Guide
This guide will help you to identify and use legal resources when writing a seminar paper. Each tab includes a short overview of the subject, links to databases, websites, books, and other resources accessible through the library. For further help with your research, please contact the Law Library.
What is a Research Paper?
A research paper is based on significant legal research that:
- Identifies a problem
- Analyzes the current law
- Interprets the law or proposes changes to the law
- Resolves the problem
UofL Writing Requirement
Requirements according to the Student Handbook:
- "significant legal research, organization, and analysis"
- "at least 6,250 words in length, exclusive of footnotes or endnotes"
- "supported by footnotes, endnotes, or other appropriate citation of authority"
A Research Paper is NOT
- A brief
- A compilation of other people's work
- A digest of the law