top of page
Skip to Main Content
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Interlibrary Loan?
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service available to the students, staff, and faculty of the University of Louisville. ILL specializes in obtaining study and research materials needed by members of the UofL community that are not owned by the Libraries. We do this by borrowing physical items, or requesting digital copies, from other libraries around the world. We can obtain nearly anything that has been published, including books, journals, video and audio recordings, and microforms. Visit our Interlibrary Loan policies for details.
Can I use Interlibrary Loan if I am not affiliated with UofL?
- Generally, no. Our Interlibrary Loan services are available to faculty, staff, and students of the University of Louisville. If you are not affiliated with the University of Louisville, check with your local public library for ILL services.
- Kornhauser Health Sciences Library: The Kornhauser Health Sciences Library will provide ILL services to members of the Louisville health services community, including physicians and other health practitioners, as well as members of the legal profession for a fee of $15.00 per request. Additional charges may be incurred. A valid UofL Libraries' borrower card is required.
- Law Library: The Law Library only provides ILL services Law School faculty, staff, and students.
- Music Library: Please contact us regarding interlibrary loan options for those not affiliated with UofL. (We are able to sometimes use ILL for community borrowers if we are able to get the item for free.)
How do I use Interlibrary Loan?
- You can request an interlibrary loan a couple ways:
- If you already have a citation you can go directly to the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery page and fill in the information.
- If you are using the library catalog or databases, use the "Find It at UofL" button to see if we have the item. If we don't, click the "Request Item through Interlibrary Loan" button to place a request it.
- Art or Ekstrom Library: Request ILL service through Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery page. Questions? Contact us at 502.852.6757 502.852.6757
/ Email Ekstrom Library's Interlibrary Loan.
- Kornhauser Health Sciences Library: Kornhauser Health Sciences Library also offers Interlibrary Loan services to members of the Louisville health services community, including physicians and other health practitioners, and the legal profession for a fee. First time user registration for Kornhauser Health Sciences Library interlibrary loan service.
Questions? Contact Kathy Rogers at
/ Email Kathy Rogers. at Kornhauser Health Sciences Library.
- Law Library:
- Brandeis Law School faculty, staff, and students may request Interlibrary Loan by contacting Jerome Neukirch at 502.852.0736 502.852.0736 or emailing the Law Library.
- Be sure to state whether it is a book or article and cite as fully as possible. For books author, title, edition and date are essential. For articles author, article title, publication title, volume number and page numbers (or at least the first page number), and date are necessary.
- Cite checkers for law reviews should check their editors before requesting an ILL for a cite-check, because it may already have been done.
- Music Library: Request Interlibrary Loan via Music Library. Questions? Contact Mark Dickson at 502.852.5659
502.852.5659 or Email Mark Dickson at the Music Library.