top of page
Skip to Main Content
Library Session Activities
Activity #1: Evaluation
Use the following linked article to respond to the following questions:
Migration as Hope: Space, Time, and Imagining the Future.
- What seems to be the main purpose of the article?
- How can you tell that this is a scholarly article? List at least three specific features.
- How can you tell whether this is a journal in the field of cultural anthropology? Consider the evidence the authors use in their article and read the Description provided by the journal on its website.
- If you were to search for more articles related to this topic, what keywords would you search?
Activity #2: Searching
Pick a topic from the list of the possible topics on the screen and JSTOR or AnthroSource to locate a scholarly article on your topic.
- What topic did you select?
- Search your topic in either JSTOR or AnthroSource to find a peer-reviewed article in a cultural anthropology journal that helps you explore your topic.
- Read the abstract of the article carefully. What issues or ideas does it discuss? What kind of evidence do they use?
- List two or three additional key words, topics, or concepts introduced in the article that could help you focus the topic of your annotated bibliography.
- As you search, write down any challenges you face in using these databases.