Read over the following article individually. Then, as a group, respond to the questions.
Holm, Barbara. “Social Anxiety and the Internet.” The Blog. Huffington Post. 7 Feb. 2013. Web.
- What are the key issues being addressed in the blog post? What seems to be the central argument or conclusion?
- What kind of evidence or data does the author use to support her claims? Does the evidence seem credible? Why or why not?
- In her post, Holm refers to the work of scholar Marshall McLuhan. How would you go about verifying Holm’s interpretation of McLuhan’s ideas? What can you learn about McLuhan from a Google search?
- How would you characterize Holm’s point of view in relation to the subject matter? Does her tone or style influence your perspective on her credibility? Why or why not?
- Summarize your overall evaluation of this source in the context of your research on online communication and emotion. What are its strengths? What are its limitations?
- Use the Library Catalog on the library’s homepage (louisville.edu/library) to find a book or article that might help you explore some aspect of Holm’s blog post in more depth. Write down the title and author of the source and explain why it seems relevant. How might the source you found in the Library Catalog speak to issues raised in Holm’s article?