top of page
Skip to Main Content
General search tips:
- Search federal case law databases
- Avoid using the word “copyright” in the search strategy, as some services include a copyright notice in every record
- Try to use keywords that specifically describe the issue being searched (e.g., infringement and music sampling)
See the 1976 Copyright Act, in Title 17 of the United States Code.
Copyright regulations are in Title 37 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Analysis of a statute from idea to legislation
- Track bills & congressional reports of attempts to fix a problem
ProQuest Congressional - Search for Legislative Histories
Select 'U.S. Federal Legislative History Library' and choose the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database.
Knowledge Center: Legislative History
This online module from Thomson Reuter's Knowledge Center provides an overview of researching the legislative history of a statute. Students can log in using their Westlaw account.