1945-1980s, 275 linear ft.
Established in 1948 by photographer Lin Caufield, the Lin Caufield Studio provided all phases of commercial photography and did extensive portrait work for clients representing a cross-section of Louisville businesses, politics, and society. The photographs include Louisville scenes, advertising and promotional photographs for Louisville manufacturers, building construction, and portraits of politicians, Chamber of Commerce members and Louisville business leaders. The studio worked extensively with the Filson Club historical society in documenting the society's paintings and photograph collections. The collection contains the negatives made by the studio from 1948 through 1985. In addition, there are commercial photographs made by Lin Caufield prior to the incorporation of the studio in 1948, Caufield family photographs, correspondence, and other papers from James Caufield, Lin Caufield's uncle and co-founder of the Caufield and Shook studio.