top of page
Skip to Main Content
The Kornhauser Health Sciences Library is collecting personal histories about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on health care providers, patients and others. We are currently accepting a diversity of items, including written documents, photos, videos, art, music, and any other activity that expresses what you are doing and feeling at this particular moment in history. Digital items can be submitted at any time, whereas written journals and diaries, or physical video/audio journals (or copies), will be collected after this crisis has been resolved.
When you are ready, click this Upload Your Storybutton. Or, if you would prefer, you can request a virtual interview.
These are the digital file formats we accept
We accept the following common digital file formats. Many of these formats can be created with free and open source software (listed in the box below).
Technologies You Can Use
Free, open source, cross-platform audio software. Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
Developed by a group of volunteers as open source.
iOS Voice Memos
The iPhone includes a Voice Memos app that allows anyone to quickly record their voice, a speech, something nearby, or any other ambient audio from the devices built-in microphone. The resulting audio quality is quite good, and going further, you can save and share the recorded sound with another iPhone, Mac, Windows PC, Android user, or nearly anything else, as it arrives as a universally compatible audio file.
10 Best Android Voice Recorders
Listing of free Android voice recorder apps you can download and use on your Android phone for recording your story. Most of these provide an option for sharing the file to computers and other devices.
LibreOffice is a free and powerful office suite, and a successor to OpenOffice.org (commonly known as OpenOffice). Its clean interface and feature-rich tools help you unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity. LibreOffice can be used to compose and edit documents, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) documents.
Are You Ready to Tell Us Your Story?
There are two ways to create submissions of audio and video for the project:
- Record yourself on your cell phone or computer and upload the file via the Kornhauser website.
- Make an appointment to be interviewed by one of our librarians and they will help you record your submission.
Digital items, such as images, artwork, or documents may be submitted by uploading the files via the Kornhauser website.
Here are some prompts to help you get started
- Describe a day on your unit in the last week.
- What kind of guidance did you receive or are you receiving from supervisors, hospital administration, and others?
- How has this crisis affected your co-workers?
- How does your family feel about you being on the front lines of this crisis?
- Who is your most recent hero and why (e.g. co-worker, family, friend, patient, other)?
- Has the pandemic changed the way you feel about practicing medicine?
- Has the pandemic changed how you view healthcare in America?
- ...and more