Read the highlighted paragraphs on the first two pages of the article and look over the rest as needed, then respond to the questions in your small groups.
"Capital Vice in the Midwest: The Spatial Distribution of the Seven Deadly Sins"
- What seems to be the main purpose of the article? How does it contribute to the development of new knowledge within a particular academic field? What kinds of research questions does it address?
- Would you classify this article as a primary or secondary source?
- What aspects of the article indicate that it's an academic source?
- What academic fields might be interested in the issues raised in the article? Think broadly about the possibilities.
- If you wanted to find additional sources to explore the issues raised in the article, what kinds of key words would you use in a search engine or library database? List as many as you can.