On the evening of May 27, 1858, the General Council organized the Steam Engine Fire Department of Louisville, to be effective June 1, 1858. The Division of Fire consisted of three fire stations. Louisville's First Fire Chief (A.Y. Johnson) with the aid of 65 men, 23 horses and 5 steam engines, provided fire protection for the 70,000 inhabitants of the city. Source: Louisville Fire Department.