top of page
Skip to Main Content
Read the introductory summary/abstract of the article and the first two paragraphs, then respond to the following questions.
Laughter, Learning, or Enlightenment? Viewing and Avoidance Motivations Behind The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
- What seems to be the main purpose of the article? Who seems to be the intended audience?
- How can you tell that this is a scholarly article? List at least three specific features.
- Why do you think the article has headings such as Methods and Results? How might the headings and structure of the article be useful to the reader?
- Why do you think the author cites so many references? How might these references be useful to other researchers?
- Read about the "Aims and Scope" of the Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media. Does the journal seem credible? Why or why not?
- Search Google for articles about The Daily Show. How do the articles you found on Google compare to the one we looked at for this activity? Now, search Google Scholar for articles about The Daily Show. How do these articles compare?