top of page
Skip to main content
Step by Step Instructions
Finding case law in Nexis Uni
- Go to the University Libraries homepage and click Subject Guides under Quick Tools
- Choose the Law Guide, then choose Nexis Uni under Recommended Databases.
- Enter your research topic in the search box, or use the Guided Search below to search for state or federal cases. (A basic search will retrieve information from newspapers, law reviews, and more; if you only want to view the court cases on your topic, use Guided Search.)
- When you click on a case in your results, you’ll see an overview of the case, the outcomes, and the full text of the case.
- Search within the case using the Search Document box; print, email, download, or save the case to your Google Drive using the tools in the upper left corner.
Finding primary law in LII (Legal Information Institute)
- Go to law.cornell.edu.
- Under legal resources, select a primary source (e.g. Supreme Court) to view the most recent decisions, or search for a specific decision in the search box in the upper-right of the page.
Finding U.S. Legislation at Congress.gov
- Go to congress.gov.
- Click Legislation in the upper right corner of the page.
- Use the search box at the top to search for legislation on a particular topic, or scroll through results to see the status of recent legislation.
Finding Kentucky state legislation at lrc.ky.gov
- Go to lrc.ky.gov.
- Click Legislation near the top of the page.