Skip to main content
The Music Library houses various formats of musical materials, including:
- Reference books, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, indices, and bio-bibliographies - located primarily on the first floor. Some older editions of encyclopedias and bio-bibliographies are located on the third floor in the stacks.
- Music Course Reserves - located at the circulation desk on the 1st floor.
- Books - located on the 3rd floor.
- Scores - located on the 2nd floor. Miniature (study) scores and oversized scores are located on the shelving along the far right wall as you exit the elevator. The Seminar Collection is located near the windows, just past the miniature scores.
- Journals - Current issues of print journals are located on the 1st floor. Older bound issues are located on the 3rd floor, to the left after you exit the elevator.
- Archival Material - various scores, manuscripts, books, photographs, and other items of value are located in the second floor Archive Room. If you need access to an item housed in this room, please ask at the circulation desk. Access to archival materials is available to all patrons for in-library use only.
- Sound Recordings - CDs are located to the right of the circulation desk on the first floor and are shelved in cabinets numerically by call number. LPs are located on the second floor, to the right after you exit the elevator. School of Music concerts and recitals can be requested at the circulation desk for in-library use only.
- Video Recordings - DVDs and VHS tapes are located behind the Circulation Desk and must be requested by call number at the desk.
- Microfilm - Microfilm storage cabinets are located on the 2nd floor rear area of the library. Currently, our microfilm reading machine is out of order. If you wish to view microfilm, please ask for assistance at the circulation desk.
The Music Library also provides the following facilities and services relating to music:
- Computer Workstations - 24 computers are located on the 1st floor. All computers are equipped for printing.
- Printer - located on the 1st floor. Requires funds from your Cardinal Card. Non-UofL patrons can purchase a visitor card from the vending station in the library for $2.00.
- Copier - located on the 2nd floor, near the rear wall of the library. Requires Cardinal Card or coins. Cost is 11 cents per page.
- Change Machine - located to the right of the copier.
- Microfilm Reader - our microfilm reader is currently out of order. Please see the circulation desk staff for assistance with viewing microfilm.
- Study Carrels / Group Study Tables - located throughout the second and third floors of the library.
- Group Study Room - Group study rooms are located on the 2nd floor (room 260) and 3rd floor (room 360C). Regularly scheduled School of Music classes meet in these rooms. When the rooms are not scheduled for a class, they can be reserved for group study and organizational meetings. Reservations for these rooms can be made at the Circulation Desk.
- Audio Headsets - can be obtained at the Circulation Desk.
- Individual Reference & Research Assistance - need one-on-one help from a music librarian with your research? Contact James Procell, Director of the Music Library, in room 160E on the 1st floor, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Discover. Create. Succeed.