Skip to main content
Databases: Literary Criticism
Use these databases to find relevant articles of literary criticism in scholarly journals and books.
Databases: Historical Context
If you're looking for additional information about the historical and cultural contexts of the works you're reading, then you might try one or more of the following databases.
Selected Subjects for English 319
These subjects are just a few examples of headings that might be relevant to your research for this class. Don't forget to browse the subheadings of broad subjects.
This list is far from comprehensive, so ask a librarian if you don't see what you need.
Author as Subject
- Bryant, William Cullen, 1794-1878
- Dickinson, Emily, 1830-1886
- Douglass, Frederick, 1818-1895
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1806-1882
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892
- American Literature -- African American Authors -- History and Criticism
- American Literature -- Women Authors -- History and Criticism
- Capitalism in Literature
- Protestantism -- United States
- Slave Narratives
- Slavery in Literature
- Slavery -- United States
- Transcendentalism (New England)
Discover. Create. Succeed.